MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
The main purpose of this role is to support Teachers and MindWise Associates to deliver ‘Beyond Bricks’. Beyond Bricks is a new and innovative programme, involving LEGO® Based Therapy and a range of activities to support primary school children in the Belfast area to overcome the pandemic, to enhance their overall mental health and wellbeing, now and in the future. The role will also involve supporting teachers within the school to celebrate the pupils’ achievements at the end of the programme within their school.
- To support the delivery of five 1hour workshops to Primary 6 and 7 pupils in the Belfast area by engaging with pupils, teachers and Training Associates to ensure a smooth delivery of the programme
- To attend training on the programme and LEGO® Based Therapy
- To liaise with MindWise staff weekly of any follow-up from the sessions
- To support the evaluation process in the schools by gathering information to inform the impact of the programme
- To support the Training Associate in workshop preparations
ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- To be able to attend a 1hour trainer information session provided by MindWise
- To be able to attend a 4 hour LEGO® Based Therapy training provided by MindWise
- An interest in LEGO® Based Therapy
- An interest in supporting young people’s mental health
- Good organisational skills
- Good group facilitation skills
- Previous experience of working with young people (9-11 year olds)
- Basic admin skills
- Previous experience of group facilitation
- Previous experience within the voluntary sector,
MindWise volunteers are encouraged to live the MindWise values when they are carrying out a volunteer role, in all interactions with staff, service-users and other volunteers. The MindWise values are;
- Passion - We are passionate about mental health and wellbeing
- Respect - We are respectful and value everyone
- Empathy - We are empathetic, we listen and support you when you need it
- Togetherness - We believe that working together is the best way to achieve our goals
All appropriate and agreed expenses will be covered as per MindWise expenses policy.
Enhanced Access NI checks will be carried out on all regulated positions and successfully returned prior to placement. To assist in the role volunteers will be expected to attend and fully engage in guidance and support meetings with an allocated volunteer supervisor and will have access to regular training.
Volunteer applicants will be invited to attend an informal interview with the Volunteer Manager and Service Manager and will be inducted via the Active 8 volunteer programme.